Thursday, August 19, 2010

They call it labor for a reason!

Baby Grant was two weeks early... here is the story
The night of Tuesday the 13 at around 8:30pm I started to feel a little uncomfortable. About an hour later I knew I was having real contractions! They didn't feel good but I could handle them. By about 10:30 they were about 5-6 minutes apart. We decided to call the hospital and tell them that I would be coming in soon. We went in a met the Doctor. He said that he was pretty sure I would deliver around 6 am so I should try to get some sleep. I was given an epidural and felt sick soon after but the nauseous feeling passed shortly. Joe my mom and I tried to rest... but not a lot of sleep happened. Around 4:00 am I asked the nurse for more medication in my epidural. After it was given to me half of my face dropped and half turned red and the other half white white. My eyes dilated differently and I could not feel one of my hands. The doctor came in and told me that he thought I might be about to have a brain aneurysm. So we needed to get the baby out. I was told to push but not with my head. If you have ever had a baby you know that not to push with your head is difficult. I stayed strong didn't cry and focused on getting Grant out. They used the Vacuum! How fun! Grant was born at 5:24 on July 14th 2010. He weighted 6lb 10 oz and was 19 inches long. As soon as he was born I was rushed off to get a CT scan and the rest of the day I had heart tests and blood tests. I didn't get a chance to sleep at all. I am ok and we don't really know what caused the problem... maybe the epidural. I was also given too much pain medicine and had some reactions to that. Our time in the hospital was long and hard. But we sure are glad to have our little man! When we got home we were so glad that we were at my parents house. We had Aunt Jana helping thank goodness! A week after Grant was born I broke out into hives... not just little ones big welt like hives. apparently I am allergic to some pain meds. We were all so glad that we were able to be in Burley for all of this so we had lots of family support. We love our sweet sweet boy! My IV
The first time I got sick... little did I know it would get worse.
My favorite Nurse Bonnie. She was amazing!
Having fun... and feeling no pain
Nana resting
What I looked at all night. I actually found the panels calming.
Soon to be Mama and Papa
Sweet Daddy
After the big episode before Grant came
I was totally out of it!
Nana and Grant... Joe and I were off getting a CT scan
Grandpa and Grant... Grandpa likes to call him Chipper.
Waa Waa
So Sweet
Healthy Baby! Thank goodness.
I love this sweet boy

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Wow, that sounds a bit scary what happened to you, but I'm sure glad it turned out all right! Good job for not freaking out, I probably would have.
When I had Camie, they had given me WAY too much epidural, and I couldn't feel anything at all... so they turned it completely off so I could feel to push, and after it wore off I felt EVERYTHING ... it was so horribly painful. So with Luke I made sure to get a smaller dose and it went perfectly!
He seems like such a sweet little guy, and I'm glad you had lots of family to help out afterwards - that's the best thing ever, because then you can get some sleep!

Troy and Brittany said...

Oh, he's adorable. Are you allergic to codeine? I am and I react with hives, too!!! I can't wait to see him grow and try to figure out what features he has from who.